Friday, August 19, 2011

lip service

As some of you might know, I love beauty products--LOVE! I pass Sephora and it is physically hard for me to walk by without going in. A Bloomies makeup counter is practically like my heaven. Anything remotely related to a moisturizer, lipstick, nail polish, hair conditioner--you name it, I love it. I find comfort in incredibly pleasant fragrances, ridiculously perfect skin creams and the wonderful feeling I get after washing my face with 'just the right' cleanser.

Because of this, I have decided to incorporate a weekly beauty moment in my blog. This will include my own personal tips, suggestions or just 'aha' moments I am having that particular week.

This week, well I should actually say the last two weeks, I have been having an 'aha' moment with statement lips, specifically red ones. I know, I know...many of you fashionistas out there would say I am behind with the times, but I think this trend isn't going anywhere. I think you just need to adjust the red depending on the season.

I have been trying to work red lips into my look for the past six months and it has not been working out. After seeing one of my fabulous co-workers pull the look off with ease, I thought I need to re-visit my originally failed effort. She looked chic and gorgeous in her red lips.

So, I went to try on the lip pencil she bought (exact shade) and again I looked terrible and unsophisticated. I found out that I was searching in all the wrong shades. My co-worker is blonde, so she is going to look completely different in a shade than I would...me being a brunette.

I decided to try a slightly darker shade of red and voila!! I actually look chic and sophisticated [see pic below].

The color is NARS CRUELLA Velvet Matte Lip Pencil (fabulous and so creamy)

So go ahead and try a ruby red lip...and don't be discouraged if it takes a while!

HAPPY WEEKEND everyone:)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lauren! I'm a blast from the past, I know, but I wanted to tell you that I love your blog, and that lipstick color looks really good on you! Thanks for the recommendation-- good reds are hard to find!

    Take care! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! What was the color your blonde coworker used? I've never been able to pull off the red lip, either, but I'd be willing to give it another try!

    ReplyDelete